»

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

To overcome fear....

Krishnamurthi: one can paint a marvellous picture of the Himalayas but the picture is not the Himalayas. The word is not the actual. Right? So will you go beyond the word and work at it? What is the cause of fear? Not the various forms of fear but the root cause of it. Is it not thought? I am this but I might not be that. Right? I have a job, I might lose it. Right? You understand? So thinking is part of fear, isn't it? Right, sir? Thinking. Thinking I might not become a successful man in terms of the world, or in terms of religion I might not achieve enlightenment. Right? Thinking is one of the major causes of fear.

Ok so I stop thinking. I face the ocean. I have to swim. I am afraid of water. But I have to swim. Will I not feel fear. Do we only think fear? Not feel fear? Ok rewind backwards to the beginning of Time. I have no fear. I do not think. I have yet not experienced physical life. I face the ocean. I cannot swim. I do not know what the ocean is. I do not know to fear. I dive in. I almost die. I feel deep panic as my body swallows water into my lungs and my muscles cramp. The feeling is desperation. The body tries to fight to survive - primal primitive urge. The waves wash me ashore gasping and gagging just before I drown. I struggle for awhile just to breathe. I then get up and stagger away, away from that that ocean thing that caused me such pain and panic and I begin to to to fear... to know fear. So does not physical life beget fear? 
Ok. I let go of fear. My Master says go plunge over that cliff if you want to become my chela. I want so much to be his student. I go plunge over the cliff. If I die immediately fear will not figure too strongly in that experience. If I do not die, but become disabled (without medical aid of any sort) and what that means then fear will set in the next time I look at a cliff. So fear is endemic to human life. How does one overcome fear? The question remains unanswered.

Found this ... speaks a thousand words and helps one get past the 
verbosity in these matters... 
                                                                              Bethany Hamilton, surfer who lost her arm to a tiger shark continues to surf, got married and had a child. Now this does happen with one's physical body and one is engulfed in fear. One can let fear 
imprison us forever or learn courage. 

0 comments: